Image Map

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mother's Day White Zinfandel Jelly

I made this jelly in honor of my boyfriend's mother, who loves white zinfandel.  I joke that she doesn't actually eat, but is more like an air fern, requiring nothing but light water and air.  As long as she has plenty of fans around for fresh air, she can live off coffee and wine.  Plus it was a cool unique jelly for everyone else who actually needs to eat. >.<

This jelly is really simple, and I suggest it to anyone who is starting out canning.  Which reminds me, I found a great article on canning basics, because I really don't want to go into the process of water baths and all that. Melissa from Serious Eats wrote A Beginner's Guide to Canning that I think will be very helpful, and is also pretty informative.


This recipe can be made with any type of wine, but dessert or sweet wines are not suggested because it will then be too sweet with all the sugar added to make it jell.  Four cups is like a bottle and a half, so you can booze up with the leftovers if you want.  I don't drink, so I kind of absentminded sipped on it while the jelly was simmering so I could get a taste of what it would turn out like.

White Zinfandel Jelly

4 cups of wine
6 cups sugar
2 3 ounce pouches of liquid pectin

Unlike most jellies, you do not boil this jelly.  Gently heat the wine and stir in sugar.  Heat to just below simmering and make sure all the sugar is dissolved before stirring in the liquid pectin pouches off heat. Ladle into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace and process for 10 minutes. Makes about 8 half pints.

This recipe is adapted from Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda J Amendt

Very easy and quick! You don't even boil it! This jelly is in the picture on the far left.

My boyfriend's mother is very fond of my dog, Tiara, which is nice. Whenever she comes to our apartment she takes her for a walk.  Here's Tiara with fairy wings!

See Also:
Mother's Day: Habanero Gold
Mother's Day: Pomegranate Jelly

No comments:

Post a Comment